Answers to questions you never thought to ask

Michigan workers compensation lawyer provides answers to questions you never thought to ask and offers free consultations.

Q.  What happens if my employer or its insurance company appeals an award of benefits?

A.  You will receive 70% of  your weekly check. The remaining 30% along with any  past due benefits will be withheld until the appeal is over. This process can take  several years.

Q. Who pays medical bills while my case is on appeal?

A. The insurance company must pay for reasonable and necessary medical treatment  while the case is on appeal. Past due medical bills will not be paid until the appeal is  completed.

Q. Are penalties available if my workers compensation benefits are not timely paid?

A. A $50 per day penalty up to a maximum of $1,500 could be available if weekly  benefits are not paid within 30 days after becoming due. A similar penalty applies to  medical bills that are not paid within 30 days after the insurance company has notice by certified mail. Penalties are not available if the claim is disputed.

Q. Can family members get paid to help me around the house?

A. Relatives can get paid up to 56 hours per week at fair market rates to help you with  activities of daily living. This could include preparing meals, bathing,  getting  dressed, and helping with medications. You will need a prescription from your doctor for attendant care hours.

Q. Does mileage reimbursement include meals and lodging?

A. You should be paid for mileage, meals, and lodging if you are required to travel a  far distance to see your doctor. The Agency publishes specific amounts for this  purpose. Mileage is currently set at .56 cents per mile. Meals and lodging vary depending upon the city. You can find this information here.

Q. Can I get reimbursement for college tuition or other vocational retraining?

A. Vocational rehabilitation is one of the primary benefits under workers compensation. You can  receive up to two years of assistance. This can include reimbursement for college  and other vocational programs.

Q. Can I settle my case if benefits are still being paid?

A. We believe this is the best time to settle your case. Most insurance companies will  pay the most amount of money while benefits are still being paid. Settlement allows  you the freedom to do your own medical and vocational rehabilitation without  interference. The attorney fee is only 10% under this circumstance.

We are available to discuss your potential workers compensation case. Please call (855) 221-2667 for a free consultation. There is never a fee unless you receive additional benefits or a settlement.

Alex Berman is the founder of the law firm. He’s been representing injured and disabled workers exclusively for more than 35 years. Alex has helped countless people obtain workers compensation benefits and never charges a fee to evaluate a case.

Related Information:

Injured at work? Advice from a Michigan workers comp lawyer

09/01/2013
Injured On The Job: A Guide to Michigan Workers Compensation Law Injured On
The Job
A Guide to Michigan Workers Compensation Law Free Book
Free Consultation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.